Tuesday, September 24, 2013

I made it to Yale.. now what?

Busy never felt like this before. I feel like there is normal busy.. and then there is grad student busy.. and then there is grad student with child busy.. but thankfully I am not that busy. I don’t know how they do it..

During the first few weeks I found myself sitting in my lab space like “I made it to Yale.. now what?” Before grad school, I thought I would begin doing science right away when actually, I am just reading.. so hopefully, I am doing this research thing right. But these past couple weeks, shit got real. My schedule is so full. Not only do I have to learn things in grad classes, I have to teach things, and then go to seminars, and meetings. This leaves little gaps of 20 minutes to an hour in between to do research.. That being said, grad school has been a great learning experience in time management.

So in addition to time management, here are some other things I have learned from grad school so far:

1. No need to buy pricey probiotics from the drug store; you can drink your own fecal sample!

I know... who suggests stuff like that?? This was a real-life conversation that happened to me. In the cafĂ© of the library on science hill, I learned from a girl (who was being completely serious) how to help my stomach gain back its normal flora by using simple, every-day practices in the lab. First you bring in a fecal sample to the lab and then you place that fecal sample in a centrifuge. Spin it until the globby parts are separated from the fluid parts, decant, and drink”, she made a motion as if she was taking a shot, “It is so simple and inexpensive. It can be done right in the lab!” I thought this was a joke. I laughed. She stared. It was awkward. Then I wondered how she knew this. Oh god. Bad mental image.




2. Some people actually think the library is a good place to bring babies.

To all the grad student parents out there: I know we have a tight budget with our grad student stipends, and if you have a child, it is probably even tighter. But if you can’t afford a babysitter so you can study in the library, maybe you should stay home and study. There is no children’s book section in the science hill library. And there is a lack of carpet to absorb noises in the section with the comfy couches. The library is a quiet place. And I know you think your baby's coos and shrieks of happiness are bringing everybody in the library joy, but truthfully, my biology is set up to become alert and respond to baby noises. I cannot focus on learning Fisher’s fundamental theorem with all those high pitch screeches reverberating around the library.

 photo Tumblr_m476nv8pKP1qlutygo1_500_zpsb0eb29f6.gif

3. Just because it is Yale, doesn't mean that all the undergrads make good choices.

Trust me, one of my good friend lives right next to a frat house.. I am often at her place when the shenanigans happen. One time we were in the kitchen of her second story apartment and we looked out the window and saw a bunch of mostly naked drunk guys covered in mud tossing a ball on a trampoline.. hmmm

 photo tumblr_makp79r0Jh1rpo0wk_zps57c5297d.gif

4.  (This one is more serious) it is okay to ask questions.

People say there is no such thing as a stupid question. But, sometimes it feels like questions are a good way to expose my professor and peers to my stupidity. What if the question I am about to ask was covered in the reading, but I glossed over it? Will the professor assume I didn't do the reading? And when I do get up the courage to ask a question and the professor explains it to me, should I nod even though it still doesn’t make sense, or should I fumble around with my words some more.. maybe I don’t even understand it well enough to ask a clear question. I have been forcing myself to ask questions though. I am getting more comfortable, but I still feel my cheeks get warm and my heart race when I go through this internal struggle. But then I am reminded when I am teaching my section, that I like it when students ask lots of questions. I never think that they are stupid even when they ask the most basic of questions. It actually makes me feel like they are interested. Like, they really want to learn the material. In fact, it is more frustrating to get a bunch of blank stares than to get a lot of questions. This is probably one of the more valuable things I have learned so far.

Anyways, although I feel quite busy, I still worked in some fun times this weekend. I went apple picking and then scuba diving in Cape Ann, Mass. I saw seals, lobsters, and ate a raw scallop right from the shell (which was quite delicious) just like an otter :D Speaking of otters, this week is sea otter awareness week!! Yaay! So be aware!


No comments:

Post a Comment